Fall is fast approaching. The sunny weather is giving way to gusts of wind and chilling temperatures. Most people are sad to see the beaches of summer and the long days and nights go, but I am one of the few who are ready to toss them out. I’ve been through heat, sweat, and broken A/C and I am ready for the cold, blankets, and cuddling. Besides, fall is another season to reinvent yourself and your relationships for the holidays and in time for the New Year. I’ve compiled a list of ten things to get all of your minds inspired. Embrace the hot cocoa and the fuzzy socks and let self-discovery take root with these ten ideas:
- Start a journal. When the weather drives people indoors, it should drive you to start writing. Keeping a simple journal can chronicle your life and let you see your progress along the way. It’s a good way to keep track of the little things, like finding an amazing coffee shop, that can make you smile later on when you revisit that chapter. Fall is the perfect season to start a journal since the plethora of family gatherings and events, not to mention school is back in session. Jot down your thoughts and get those creative juices flowing. Taking a look back on your day is insightful and allows you to wrap up any lingering emotions, making it easier to get a restful sleep.
- Plan for a trip. With summer gone, I am sure you went a few places. Traveling during the long summer months is popular and definitely a must. For fall, it is time to regroup and become homebodies but don’t lose your sense of adventure! Plan for the next season. Start saving up and booking travel arrangements now to get yourself excited for the months to come and also to allow you to broaden your horizons. By planning ahead, you can make your next trip bigger and better than the last.
- Pick up a hobby. Have you always wanted to learn something new or fine-tune a hobby that you had in the past? Fall is the best time for this! Pick up a new language or learn how to knit. If surfing is your goal, at least learn some techniques and how to balance. You’ll find yourself having more down time with holiday breaks and such so fill those with making gifts with your new hobby or impressing yourself and your family and friends with your new skills.
- Change your appearance. Fall is the time of making appearances and spending time with the ones closest to you. Why not change something up for this occasion? It can be as simple a haircut or as permanent as a tattoo. Reinventing yourself is a good thing to do every now and then and fall is the best time for this. Just remember, do your research before on any big changes to make sure you know what the amazing results will be.
- Change your environment. Just as you make a change for yourself, switch up your environment a bit. Get your living space ready to entertain or simply ready for the winter months fast approaching. Do a little painting, repairing, or crafting. Get that big TV you wanted to enjoy the football season. Refreshing your environment will help relax and, in turn, refresh your outlook.
- Do a random act of kindness. Spring is for love, summer is for fun, but fall is the season of thanks. Be thankful for what you have and pay it forward with a random act of kindness. One single act can create a chain reaction of good deeds. Take buying someone coffee for example. It makes the recipient’s day and often leads them to do the same to the next person. Volunteer at a local nonprofit organization. Raise money for a cause you are passionate about. Spread the good deeds this fall and don’t hold back.
- Get healthy. If you’re not health-oriented, get it going in your mind now before the holiday season buffets begin. Start getting more active. Even taking walks in the evening can make a difference in how you feel. Set goals for yourself along the way. Why wait until the new year to start looking and feeling your best? Work towards it today. Most gyms offer free classes to try and Youtube has some good workouts and trainer tips. There’s so much information and support out there, take advantage of it today.
- Start saving money. You probably have your eye on some things that your budget doesn’t have much wiggle room for. Need a new laptop or want to skydive but need to save up? Start now during the fall! Start tucking away as much as you can now, including any monetary gifts. You’ll find yourself able to afford what you want/need with a little patience and planning. Even the change from your wallet was more than you had before.
- Discover new music. Favorite playlists are great, but when you’ve exhausted your entire music library and are craving more you need to do a little discovering. When fall comes, your time spent indoors and on the go requires some new music. Check the many sites out there for discovering music or do a playlist swap with a friend who you know has amazing music taste. You’ll find some of your new favorites by simply doing a little digging.
- Start a new tradition. With all of these holidays and gatherings coming up, it is prime time to contribute somehow and start something you can carry on to other years. Throw a fun themed Halloween party, create a family game night, or go to a local pub for their weekly trivia night. There are so many ideas that you can take any and run with it. The people before you had their traditions, but you can create the framework for memories to come for years. Start them this fall!
These ten ideas are just the tip of the iceberg but the key factor is to work on yourself and have fun. It’s never too late to make a change and start something new. When the trees all become bare and the air chills, fall marks the end of summer but the beginning of the cycle of the seasons again. Now that your summer has ended, give yourself and those around you some TLC and get creative! Fall is more than pumpkin flavored everything and turkey, it is a chance to start something you’ve put off all summer. Get a little closer to your dreams this fall!
Photo Source: Baxiaart.deviantart.com