All right, so I may still be in my early 20’s but I thought I’d draft a list from experience and also from advice I have gotten over some time. These 20 things are simply suggestions and some really aren’t possible unless the circumstance is met but, if there is ever a time, the time to do these things would be in your 20’s when you’re paving your own path and most aren’t tied to one place.
- Pick up a hobby that interests you. Photography is a safe one but don’t hold back if sky-diving is calling your name.
- Pull an all-nighter! It may have been a few years since college but muster up the courage for just one more.
- Adopt a pet. They’re like children but… fur.
- Go out to your old favorite bar. You may not be 21 anymore but there’s something special in the familiar stench and the cheap drinks.
- Ask your parents for advice. Seriously, you are an adult but they are like walking manuals for adult stuff.
- Do not use a credit card. Seriously, unless it is an absolute emergency.
- Pay your bills. From student loans to a car payment, even if it means paying the minimum, don’t fall behind!
- Go on a trip, or a lot of trips. Travel while you can and while you have the flexibility of not having other mouths to feed or more responsibility.
- Start a blog. Teenagers see us as adults so we must be wise or something, right? Even if it is how you burnt the cookies you tried to make from Pinterest you better document those experiences.
- Learn another language. It’s not too late to do so. Yes, it is harder than if you were learning it as a child but a little challenge is worth it.
- Buy or rent your own place. If you’re settling in an area for a long time, try to buy (although it depends on the market and the cost of living) but if not at least rent a space. Having your own home is important.
- Find a career that works for you. You may have to go through a few jobs to get there but don’t stop trying.
- Go back to school. Whether you need to finish or you’re furthering your education, go to school now! It will pay off in your later years.
- Spend more time with your family. You’ll notice people age and time isn’t slowing down for anyone, cherish those around you.
- Binge watch TV shows every so often. Orange is the New Black catch up time? Why not? It’s not like you have a bedtime.
- Don’t forget your roots. You may move around a lot or may choose to start a life away from your childhood home but don’t forget that place. It made you who you are.
- Treat yo’ self. It sounds silly but get your hair done, get a massage, or buy that spiffy new tablet you saw. You work hard, you play hard.
- Keep in contact with your friends. Your job/school/partner may be giant chunks of your identity but don’t forget who has your back.
- Stay away from drama. You’re not in high school anymore and your life isn’t a sitcom. Don’t let unnecessary drama drag you down.
- Mess up. You’ll be okay. Have your heart broken, fail at something. You’re only in your 20’s and it’s better to learn now and grow from these mishaps.
So, go out and experience your 20’s today. We aren’t getting any younger but we are living and learning and that’s a beautiful thing. Be fierce and don’t hold back. You only have yourself to answer for. Cheers!
Photo Source: Blog.bucketlist.org