If you’ve been on the internet lately, you’ve certainly heard about the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. The viral videos are a perfect example of how social media can be used to create social change. The videos are meant to raise money and awareness for the ALS foundation. So what is ALS? According to the foundation’s website, “Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), often referred to as “Lou Gehrig’s Disease,” is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Motor neurons reach from the brain to the spinal cord and from the spinal cord to the muscles throughout the body. The progressive degeneration of the motor neurons in ALS eventually leads to their death. When the motor neurons die, the ability of the brain to initiate and control muscle movement is lost. With voluntary muscle action progressively affected, patients in the later stages of the disease may become totally paralyzed.”
So why an ice bucket? The instant freeze is meant to mimic the paralyzing feeling felt by those with ALS. It has been a fantastic way to raise money, around $100 million dollars, in fact. And it can keep you entertained on the internet for hours!
Here a just a few of the best #icebucketchallenge videos from around the web.
1. Stephen Amell – the latest and dare I say greatest?
2. Paul Bissonnette – extreme ice bucketing.
3. Bill Gates – always an overachiever.
4. Conan O’Brien – sounds like a good deal!
5. Justin Timberlake – he makes it look good.
6. Jimmy Fallon & Higgins with The Roots and Guests – always in style.
7. Nathan Fillion – bold enough to challenge the man holding the bucket.
8. David Boreanaz – dressed as Agent Booth and using a Jeffersonian bucket.
President Obama has now received the challenge from the entire Kennedy family, as well as from the USA Basketball team. The internet anxiously awaits his response!
For more information, and to see how you can help, please visit http://www.alsa.org.
Photo Source: www.myfoxdetroit.com